In this week’s episode, we take a look at flipped classrooms. Plus, updates from Formative, Flipgrid, Pear Deck, Microsoft, and Google; this week’s treasure chest; and, of course, your question of the week.
News & Updates
- Formative Updates
- Move formatives without going back to the dashboard
- Alerts when students change their answers (Premium feature)
- Social Studies assessments
- Google Image search (add images to questions, text blocks, Show Your Work backgrounds)
- RichText format automatically adds links
- Link Formative to existing Google Classrooms
- Flipgrid Updates
- Sync Google Classroom rosters
- Mic only mode
- Shorts – add titles, search through the Shorts library, and quickly copy links to videos
- Batch actions from student lists
- Time stamp videos in comments
- Selfies and nametags for covers
- Pear Deck Shared Teacher Dashboard
- Share session controls and student insights with other educators
- Invite other educators and give them access to everything you have
- Microsoft Office 365 Education is free to eligible students and teachers
Treasure Chest: Canva for Educators
- Apply for a Canva for Education to get access to more features
- Create classes for student projects
Boss Battle: Flipping Your Classroom
- Why flip?
- High-level students get bored
- Struggling students get lost
- Flipped classes allow more 1:1 time
- More time to apply learning
- Easy to implement in all content areas
- Common Hurdles
- Limited access
- Students not completing videos
- Tools to get you started
- Edpuzzle – Add multiple choice and written response questions to videos
- Screencastify – record your own screencasts
- Flipgrid – Upload video responses to a grid
- Google Forms
- Pear Deck – Create interactive student Slides for Google Slides
- Think about flipping the instructor as well
Crew Members’ Board (#8BitCrew)
QOTW: What’s your favorite way to rest and recharge on breaks?
Use the #8BitCrew on Twitter, tag me @comicsocks, or post longer stories in the comments section here.
- Twitter: @comicsocks & #8BitCrew
- Web site
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Support the show on Patreon.
Check out my Google Classroom Udemy course.
Music by David Fesliyan (https://www.fesliyanstudios.com/)
- Intro/Outro: “Retro Platforming”
- Boss Battle: “Boss Battle Rock”
- Crew Member’s Board: “Pirate Dance”
- Wrap up: “Game Over” by Patrick de Arteaga
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links to products or services. I may receive commissions or bonuses from your actions on such links.