EP042 Reflections on a Crazy Year – The Educator's Quest
It's the final episode of the first season! I do some reflecting on this past year and the things I've learned as well as things that will hopefully continue on after things go back to "normal".
This week, Jared Cooney Horvath joins me to discuss the science of learning. Some news from Quizlet, Wakelet, and Google. There’s a different kind of treasure in the treasure chest today. Plus, this week’s question of the week, and some bonus video game talk.
News & updates
- Quizlet now allows you to create folders within classes
- Wakelet now integrates Adobe Spark
- Google is rebranding G Suite into Google Workspace. Read about it here
Treasure Chest: Stop Talking, Start Influencing
- Today’s guest Jared Cooney Horvath has an awesome book about the way we learn information
- Check it out here
Boss Battle: The Science of Learning with Jared Cooney Horvath
- Text, Speech, & Images
- Speech & text don’t go well together
- Speech & images do go well together
- More predictable layouts help aid memory
- TL:DR – It doesn’t work
- Importance of Error
- Error is how we learn best
- Using Stories
- Find the story behind the facts
- Build your own or find the story
- From Theory to Practice
- Jared’s Youtube channel that takes research and breaking it down in an easy to understand way
- Follow Jared on Twitter @JCHorvath
Crew Members’ Board (#8BitCrew)
QOTW: How could you implement some of the ideas from today’s conversation?
Use the #8BitCrew on Twitter or post longer stories in the comments section here.
- Twitter: @comicsocks & #8BitCrew
- Web site
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Support the show on Patreon.
Check out my Google Classroom Udemy course.
Music by David Fesliyan (https://www.fesliyanstudios.com/)
- Intro/Outro: “Retro Platforming”
- Boss Battle: “Boss Battle Rock”
- Crew Member’s Board: “Pirate Dance”
- Wrap up: “Game Over” by Patrick de Arteaga
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links to products or services. I may receive commissions or bonuses from your actions on such links.