EP042 Reflections on a Crazy Year – The Educator's Quest
It's the final episode of the first season! I do some reflecting on this past year and the things I've learned as well as things that will hopefully continue on after things go back to "normal".
This week, we look at how we can take care of various student needs in our classroom. Updates from Google, Wakelet, Pear Deck, and Flipgrid. Plus, a Chrome tip from the treasure chest. And as always, your 8-Bit Crew question of the week.
News & Updates
- Autofill for Sheets
- Access Checker in Slides will check embedded content sharing permissions
- Pear Deck
- Brain Break template Slides (https://www.peardeck.com/pear-deck-blog/brain-break-templates)
- Students comment with text to videos
Treasure Chest: Pinning Tabs in Chrome
- Right click on a tab to pin it to the front of your browser
- food, water, warmth, rest
- There are a lot of students who are here
- Free/reduced lunch; students working jobs
- they’re irritable and have a hard time focusing and paying attention
- How can you help provide for students?
- security, safety
- not just physical; emotional security, freedom from fear, social stability
- That’s just not there for a lot of our students now
- Covid, racial injustice, hate, division
- What can you do to provide stability in your classroom?
- It may be the only security they have
- check-ins, Charter of Compassion,
- Belonging and loved
- friends, relationships
- How can we embed a sense of belonging into what we do in class?
- find ways to bring a social aspect to class
- 2-minute share, find times to have conversations with students
- prestige & accomplishment
- Students may not do because they lack the self-confidence
- think about how you talk to your students
- How can you boost self-esteem in your class?
- praise and encouragement, leaderboard, brag board
- achieving one’s full potential
- independent learners, self-driven people
- We often want to jump straight to this, but students just aren’t there
- empower & support
- Keep in mind that all of this fluctuates; it’s not one and done
Crew Members’ Board (#8BitCrew)
QOTW: What are some of your ideas for taking care of students needs in class?
Use the #8BitCrew on Twitter or post longer stories in the comments section here.
- Twitter: @comicsocks & #8BitCrew
- Web site
- Email: email@example.com
- Support the show on Patreon.
Check out my Google Classroom Udemy course.
Music by David Fesliyan (https://www.fesliyanstudios.com/)
- Intro/Outro: “Retro Platforming”
- Boss Battle: “Boss Battle Rock”
- Crew Member’s Board: “Pirate Dance”
- Wrap up: “Game Over” by Patrick de Arteaga
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links to products or services. I may receive commissions or bonuses from your actions on such links.