EP042 Reflections on a Crazy Year – The Educator's Quest
This week, we look at how we can take care of various student needs in our classroom. Updates from Google, Wakelet, Pear Deck, and Flipgrid. Plus, a Chrome tip from the treasure chest. And as always, your 8-Bit Crew question of the week.
News & Updates
- Autofill for Sheets
- Access Checker in Slides will check embedded content sharing permissions
- Pear Deck
- Brain Break template Slides (https://www.peardeck.com/pear-deck-blog/brain-break-templates)
- Students comment with text to videos
Treasure Chest: Pinning Tabs in Chrome
- Right click on a tab to pin it to the front of your browser
- food, water, warmth, rest
- There are a lot of students who are here
- Free/reduced lunch; students working jobs
- they’re irritable and have a hard time focusing and paying attention
- How can you help provide for students?
- security, safety
- not just physical; emotional security, freedom from fear, social stability
- That’s just not there for a lot of our students now
- Covid, racial injustice, hate, division
- What can you do to provide stability in your classroom?
- It may be the only security they have
- check-ins, Charter of Compassion,
- Belonging and loved
- friends, relationships
- How can we embed a sense of belonging into what we do in class?
- find ways to bring a social aspect to class
- 2-minute share, find times to have conversations with students
- prestige & accomplishment
- Students may not do because they lack the self-confidence
- think about how you talk to your students
- How can you boost self-esteem in your class?
- praise and encouragement, leaderboard, brag board
- achieving one’s full potential
- independent learners, self-driven people
- We often want to jump straight to this, but students just aren’t there
- empower & support
- Keep in mind that all of this fluctuates; it’s not one and done
Crew Members’ Board (#8BitCrew)
QOTW: What are some of your ideas for taking care of students needs in class?
Use the #8BitCrew on Twitter or post longer stories in the comments section here.
- Twitter: @comicsocks & #8BitCrew
- Web site
- Email: email@example.com
- Support the show on Patreon.
Check out my Google Classroom Udemy course.
Music by David Fesliyan (https://www.fesliyanstudios.com/)
- Intro/Outro: “Retro Platforming”
- Boss Battle: “Boss Battle Rock”
- Crew Member’s Board: “Pirate Dance”
- Wrap up: “Game Over” by Patrick de Arteaga
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links to products or services. I may receive commissions or bonuses from your actions on such links.