EP042 Reflections on a Crazy Year – The Educator's Quest
It's the final episode of the first season! I do some reflecting on this past year and the things I've learned as well as things that will hopefully continue on after things go back to "normal".
This week, we look at dealing with problem students and changing those demons into angels. News and updates from Google and Edji. A sweet tip for Google Slides. And as always, your 8-Bit Crew question of the week.
News & Updates
- Edji now integrates Immersive Reader into its platform
Treasure Chest: Start video on click in Slides
- Now, you can set a video to play on click in Slides rather than having to click on the video on the Slide
Boss Battle: Turning Demons to Angels
- I almost got into a fight my very first day of teaching
- How do we turn those demons into angels?
- Be understanding
- Students don’t come from the same background we do
- Be compassionate
- It’s easy to just write them up
- We have to offer grace and mercy
- Be patient
- Change doesn’t happen overnight
- Be empowering
- A lot of these students have never, or rarely, been told that they are good at something
- Look for the good and empower them to do what they can
- Be understanding
Crew Members’ Board (#8BitCrew)
QOTW: What are you success stories with students?
Use the #8BitCrew on Twitter or post longer stories in the comments section here.
- Twitter: @comicsocks & #8BitCrew
- Web site
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Support the show on Patreon.
Check out my Google Classroom Udemy course.
Music by David Fesliyan (https://www.fesliyanstudios.com/)
- Intro/Outro: “Retro Platforming”
- Boss Battle: “Boss Battle Rock”
- Crew Member’s Board: “Pirate Dance”
- Wrap up: “Game Over” by Patrick de Arteaga
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links to products or services. I may receive commissions or bonuses from your actions on such links.