This week, Jared Cooney Horvath and David Bott, authors of 10 Things Schools Get Wrong (And How We Can Get Them Right), join me and discuss the Narrative that is currently driving education and what we can do about it. Plus, I’ve got some news from IXL and Google.
News & Updates
- IXL Leaderboards create friendly competition among student
- Go to Learning tab → Award → Leaderboard
- Based on # of questions answers, # answered correctly, time spent, # of skills proficient, # of skills mastered
- Set subject and grade levels
- Start and end date
- Chrome captions audio and video
- Get captions for audio and video right in your Chrome browser
- Go to your settings (Ctrl + ,), click on Advanced, toggle on Live Captioning
- Captions show up in the bottom of your browser
- New ways to keep track of important notifications in Google Drive on mobile
- View all your important tasks in Drive
- See all notifications in one place
- Filter the types of notifications you get
- delete/dismiss notifications you don’t want
- Take action, like share files, directly from notifications
- Show more file information directly from the notification
- Go to the “Priority” and find notifications at the top
- View all your important tasks in Drive
- Google Chat will automatically suggest 1:1 chat based on your Google Calendar
- Suggested conversation shortcuts for meetings on your Calendar will appear at the top of the Chat section in Gmail on mobile & web and Chat on mobile
- Will be visible 10 minutes before and after the meeting for easier communication
- Present with confidence with the improved presenter toolbar in Google Slides
- Less intrusive toolbar for Google Slides in presentation mode
- Previous or next Slide, Slide picker, 3-dot menu for everything else
- See more video feeds in Google Meet
- Up to 8 video feeds on phones
- Up to 48 video feeds select iPads
- Version history now available for Jamboard on web
- See version history
- Create named versions
- Restore previous versions
“Failure is the foundation of success, and the means by which it is achieved.”Lao Tzu
- Failure isn’t bad; it’s only the beginning
- We have to make sure we build on those foundations
Boss Battle: Changing the Narrative of Education with Jared Cooney Horvath and David Bott
Jared Cooney Horvath (PhD, MEd) is a neuroscientist, educator, and best-selling author. He has conducted research and lectured at Harvard University, Harvard Medical School, the University of Melbourne, and over 250 schools internationally. He currently serves as Director of LME Global: a team dedicated to bringing the latest brain and behavioral research to teachers, students, and parents alike.
David Bott is the Associate Director of the Institute of Positive Education. David is a sought-after speaker
and education consultant who works with government organisations and some of the world’s leading
schools to help guide wellbeing vision and strategy. David sits on the Dubai Future Council for Education,
is a Director on the PESA (Positive Education Schools Association) board, and has published in academic
journals and industry periodicals. David’s bestselling book, 10 Things Schools Get Wrong: And How We
Can Get Them Right was published in 2020.
- What do we mean by Narrative?
- A worldview that drives everything we do
- 3 key components:
- Organize how the world has gotten to where it is
- Establish clear societal norms and rules
- Identify what it means to be an individual inside this story
- The narrative that is driving most schools: Economic Consumer
- Everything is predicated on economics
- Your self-worth is tied up in your wealth and the goods you own
- In school, you’re here to get the skills to get the highest-paying job
- How do we change the Narrative?
- Systemic change can happen at ground level
- “We must recognize that teachers are empowered to make significant cultural change at the grassroots level.”
- It has to happen day-to-day
- Find your Narrative and embed it in your classroom
Crew Members’ Board (#8BitCrew)
QOTW: What’s one way you could use Adobe Spark to add a little creativity in your classroom?
Use #8BitCrew on Twitter, tag me @comicsocks, or post longer stories in the comments section here.
- Twitter: @comicsocks & #8BitCrew
- Web site
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Support the show on Patreon.
Check out my Google Classroom Udemy course.
Music by David Fesliyan (https://www.fesliyanstudios.com/)
- Intro/Outro: “Retro Platforming”
- Boss Battle: “Boss Battle Rock”
- Crew Member’s Board: “Pirate Dance”
- Wrap up: “Game Over” by Patrick de Arteaga
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links to products or services. I may receive commissions or bonuses from your actions on such links.