This week, Michael Matera joins me to discuss gamification and applying gaming principles into your classroom.
News & Updates
- Google Docs will now use canvas based rendering: this may impact some Chrome extensions
- Updating the way Docs renders documents
- Moving from HTML-based rendering to canvas-based rendering to improve performance and consistency across platforms
- This could affect the way third-party extensions and add-ons work with Docs
- They’ll need to be updated over the coming months
Treasure Chest: Google Classroom Template Classes
- Create a Google Classroom for your team and add teachers as co-teachers
- Create assignments with rubrics to use common rubrics across your team
- Reuse assignments to save your team work
Boss Battle: Gamification with Michael Matera
Michael Matera (@MrMatera) is a Milwaukee, Wisconsin-based sixth grade teacher and the author of eXPlore Like a Pirate: Gamification and Game-Inspired Course Design to Engage, Enrich and Elevate Your Learners. Michael is a 2015 ASCD Emerging Leader with over a decade of teaching experience using interactive play, passion and purpose-driven learning to transform the classroom in international, public and private schools. A nationally recognized speaker, consultant and presenter, Michael is the host of the long-running WellPlayED education podcast and the founder of the annual Hive Summit, an annual event hosted every summer that welcomes thousands of teachers from around the world to a rich and dynamic online speaker lineup of free PD.
- Follow Michael on Twitter
- Check out Michael’s book, Explore like a Pirate
- Explore the EMC2 Learning website
Crew Members’ Board (#8BitCrew)
QOTW: What’s one way you can add some gamification principles to your classroom?
Use #8BitCrew on Twitter, tag me @comicsocks, or post longer stories in the comments section here.
- Twitter: @comicsocks & #8BitCrew
- Web site
- Email: email@example.com
- Support the show on Patreon.
Check out my Google Classroom Udemy course.
Music by David Fesliyan (https://www.fesliyanstudios.com/)
- Intro/Outro: “Retro Platforming”
- Boss Battle: “Boss Battle Rock”
- Crew Member’s Board: “Pirate Dance”
- Wrap up: “Game Over” by Patrick de Arteaga
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links to products or services. I may receive commissions or bonuses from your actions on such links.